Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Character Insight No. 242: Best of Dr. Julian Bashir

Welcome back to Character Insight! This week, we continue the Best Of series for Deep Space Nine with a look at Julian Bashir, the chief medical officer aboard the station.

https://archive.org/details/CharacterInsightEp242

Dr. Bashir had an interesting childhood, struggling with school at young ages before his parents moved with him to a planet that offered genetic engineering treatments to improve their child.  He was originally named Jules, but when he finds out about the genetic engineering at age 15, he rebels and changes his name to Julian, as we learn in the episode Dr. Bashir, I Presume.

QUOTE (from Dr. Bashir, I Presume, S5):
Dr. Julian Bashir: You used to be my father. Now, you're my architect - the man who designed a better son, to replace the defective one he was given. Well, your design has a built-in flaw: it's illegal.

Although Julian was originally afraid of doctors and their power, likely based on what happened in his childhood, an incident at the age of 10 changes Julian's path.  We see this in the episode Melora, where a girl dies because of a lack of medical knowledge that could've saved her, and this causes Julian to dedicate his life to medicine and helping others.

QUOTE (from Melora. S2):
Dr. Julian Bashir: I sat there and watched her die. The next day when we returned, his guide told us we could've treated her with a simple herb that was growing all around.  I could've saved her life.
Melora: And so, you started to study medicine.
Dr. Julian Bashir: Actually, first, I started to study tennis...turned out I had more natural talent at medicine than tennis.

Bashir and the mysterious Cardassian tailor Elim Garak interact a lot in early seasons of the show, as Bashir tries to see behind the layers of Garak.  One episode full of this counterplay is a silly holodeck episode called Our Man Bashir, in which Garak appears as a character in Bashir's secret agent program and has plenty of illuminating conversations with the Doctor.

QUOTE (from Our Man Bashir, S4):
Dr. Julian Bashir: You'll be fine. It's just a flesh wound.
Garak: That was awfully close. What if you'd killed me?
Dr. Julian Bashir: What makes you think I wasn't trying?
Garak: Doctor, I do believe there's hope for you yet.
Dr. Julian Bashir: Well, I'm so relieved!

Although the Doctor eventually pairs up romantically with Ezri Dax when that character changes in the final season of the show, his true love is clearly Miles O'Brien.  These two are always sharing life stories and hanging out, a highlight of which is in the episode Extreme Measures.

QUOTE (from Extreme Measures, S7)
Chief O'Brien: [of Keiko] She always said I... I liked you more than I liked her.
Doctor Bashir: That's ridiculous!
Chief O'Brien: Right.
Doctor Bashir: Well, maybe, maybe you do, a bit more.
Chief O'Brien: What? Are you crazy? She's my wife, I love her!
Doctor Bashir: Of course you love her - she's your wife.
Chief O'Brien: Yeah.
Doctor Bashir: I'm just saying, maybe you like me a bit more, that's all.

Julian Bashir was played by Alexander Siddig.  He and Nana Visitor were briefly married and have a son together named Django.  He's had a number of great TV roles including as a villain on 24, as Ra's al Ghul in Gotham, and as Dorian Martell in Game of Thrones (insert theme)...ahh yes, it's almost time for winter to arrive, and then Star Trek Discovery right after that!
-----

Contact me with segment suggestions @BuckeyeFitzy on Twitter! Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment